Why embryo adoption ?
When one thinks of adoption, the first thing that comes to mind is about adopting a baby. However, there is another kind too- embryo adoption! In the latter the infertile couple adopts the embryo before pregnancy. Some couples who have faced IVF failure do eventually opt for traditional adoption. They look upon it as a chance to bring a baby into their family and make it complete; but they also feel that they are doing a good deed by caring for a child that would otherwise be uncared for.
Embryo adoption VS Traditional adoption
- In fact, many infertile couple believe that adoption is an easy solution to their infertility , if everything else fails. However , the sad tragedy is that there are just not enough babies available for adoption. Not only is the demand for adopting babies increasing day by day as infertility becomes more prevalent , the supply of unwanted babies being put up for adoption by the mother has become drastically reduced. This is because unmarried mothers have become a rare phenomenon.
- Girls are much better informed about their bodies. If they don’t want a baby , they use contraception . If they do have unprotected sex, they use emergency post cortical contraception; and even if they do get inadvertently pregnant , they resort to abortions , all of which are easily available on demand. Since contraception and abortions have become so safe and effective, there are very few unwanted babies in most orphanages these days.
- So what is the poor infertile couple to do ? After spending years and a small fortune on IVF treatments, they are now forced to wait once again for as long as 3 to 4 years on waiting lists. For non-resident Indians, the wait can be much longer. The influential ones use shortcuts to bypass the waiting list; while others consider adopting a child from less- developed countries.
- It is ironic that while the technology of contraception and abortion has reduced the availability of adoptable children, assisted reproductive technology now offers a new option to infertile couples. This is the option of embryo adoption.
The Resemblance and the Difference – Apart there are some women who want to go through the experience of pregnancy and actually giving birth to a child instead of adopting a baby. These couples too may opt for embryo adoption. Biologically, embryo adoption is exactly the same as a traditional adoption, in that the child and the parents have no genetic linkage. However, this is where the resemblance ends. With traditional adoption the child is adopted after birth; in embryo adoption the infertile couple adopts an embryo before pregnancy
Advantages and disadvantages of embryo adoption :
- There is no waiting list
- The infertile woman gets to experience the pleasure of pregnancy and birth
- This obviously enhances bonding between the infertile couple and the child
- Another major advantage is that there is no social stigma involved
- The couple does not need to get permission from family members or disapproving in-laws
- Since these embryos are usually of high quality, the success rates are better than 50% per cycle
The only disadvantage is that the treatment can be quite expensive. But then some couples are willing to incur that expense to have the baby they always wanted.
Not happy with the attention you are getting from your IVF clinic? Need more information? Please send me your medical details by filling in this form so that I can guide you!